Thursday, December 4, 2008

Just Some Fun


I know that I promised that I’d give politics a rest while in Mexico, but with time on my hands … well … jeez … sorry …

Emerald Bay just finished their Wednesday night Mexican Fiesta that included food, drink, and music. The evening began and ended with a short burst of fireworks that I could view off my patio. The music and fireworks prompted me to write. Why? Emotions. My definition of emotions: personal feelings toward, or about something. I know that patriotism and politics are just emotional reactions to what we experience over time and space. So, I guess I should not be surprised that the fiesta had an emotional impact on me. The cultural patriotism of the Mexican people is quite strong, probably much more potent than ours at this juncture, as we’ve become a melting pot of so many cultures and are presenting morphing into something else. I don’t think this is a bad thing, but it does lead to some temporary instability that triggers interesting emotions, as well as reaction to those emotions. These reactions to emotion are bundled into a package that becomes our personal political view.

So, all of this rattling around in my skull started me thinking that I should somehow visually provide a picture of where I think I fall, emotionally, and politically, compared to some very “political” people, the so-called left and right, and you, the reader, on a “non-standard, unapproved, self-designed, probably suspect, likely inaccurate, political scale, by Matt”. Don’t ask me how I got from a Mexican fiesta to this … it’s just how my mind works.

So here goes:

I was unable to get the scale to format the way I wanted it, but you'll get the idea.


Left 1 Bill Ayers, Rev Wright;Frickin’ Crazy!

3 B.Walters, Whoopi G., M. Obama;Goofier than hell!

4 B. Obama; Idealist,Jury’s still out!

5 H. Clinton; Progressive

Center 6 Matt; Centrist

7 John McCain, Sarah Palin; Transparent, Idealists

8 Huckabee, Larry the Cable Guy; Fun, but curiously serious!

9 George Bush; Tired!Failed Economy.

10 9 year old Somali Pirates; Bored!

Right 11 Osama Bin Laden; Sociopath

So, where are you?

We’re at war in two countries, the President Elect is having a difficult time finding anyone to head up the CIA, Hilary is going to be Secretary of State (I never thought I would say this, but I think we’re lucky on this pick … just think of the possible alternatives), atheists want equal time at Christmas, the Mormons and gay community are at war, the economy sucks, and Sarah Palin is bound to leave Alaska and move to Georgia, where people still like her. What a planet!

My guess is that Obama will be forced to move closer to center, probably slightly to the left. Place your bets. As an Independent Centrist, I can work with that. There. You know where I am. If you’re still reading my blog, after my foolish self-disclosure, rate yourself, and offer comment. If you’re to the left of the number 4, or to the right of number 9, and still with me, you’re not likely to ever agree with anything I write. You are most surely very sick, or a close relative, to whom I will offer my unconditional love. If you fall into either category, you might want to seek professional help. Please don’t call me. Hehheh

Hey, this just can’t be about my vacation! That’d be boring.

No comments: