Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It's Been a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood


Emerald Bay Day 1

I awoke at 4:30 this morning, made a cup of ginger tea, showered, then went up to the Deli where there is free wireless access, so I could send off my earlier post. The Deli opened at 7:00. I bought a box of Special K (Mexican style, and interesting), a small bottle of tomato juice, and a can of ground coffee. The total was 140 pesos, or about $10. The Deli is well-stocked with everything you would need. The prices are 30 to 40 percent higher than what you would find in a larger Mexican market, or Wal Mart and Sam’s Club in Mazatlan proper.

Emerald Bay is in Nuevo (New) Mazatlan. The area is so new that there is not much outside of the resort at this time, but each year the city seems to move closer. Emerald Bay has a free shuttle service that runs each half hour every day from ten in the morning to midnight. The shuttle takes you to EB’s older sister hotel, Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan, also a beautiful facility. From PB Mazatlan you can access many forms of transport to take you further into the Golden Zone, Old Mazatlan, Wal Mart, Sam’s, or wherever. More on that later, as I’ll do an entire post on transportation.

At Emerald Bay the staff does their best to keep all guests entertained. You have total flexibility in planning your activities. You can choose to do nothing, or dabble a bit into whatever comes up on their schedule of events. Now, this is Mexico and schedules are subject to change with little or no notice. But, it seems to me that EB has “ironed out the wrinkles” since opening, and I’m not noticing any goofy stuff yet. A couple of popular activities daily at poolside are the Spanish language class and ceramics painting. Drinking and eating is also popular at the pool. The grill serves wonderful burgers, nachos, marlin tacos, and fruit smoothies. The Aqua Bars serve both high octane, and non-alcoholic drinks. If you prefer to be down on the beach in the free cabanas, the servers come to you. After an hour at the pool this morning, I migrated down to the beach. About 11:00, the server showed up right on cue. I ordered a Pacifico and EB Nachos. He was back with the beer in about five minutes. The nachos came about twenty to thirty minutes later. You can’t be in a rush. The food is worth the wait. The nacho plate is huge with about a third of a pound of cheese and a nice mild pepper salsa on the side. It should be shared, but I managed to put it down easily on my own today.

After lunch, I returned to the room, hoping that it had been cleaned, so I could take a nap (Angel’s laughing reading this). Like I said, you can do some, all, or nothing. I chose nothing today. After my nap I grabbed the camera and set out to take a few shots around the 15 acre grounds. That made for a nice walk and I might have picked up a couple of “keeper” photos. I’m sitting on the patio now writing, while listening to the music and happy hour crowd at the pool. Emerald Bay has a two-for-one happy hour from 4:00 to 5:00 each day. They used to have one from 11:00 to 12:00 in the morning, but that’s been dropped. Just as well. It’s pretty easy to get hammered on their drinks in the a.m. and lose the rest of the day. Been there, done that.

The sunset was beautiful tonight. Just wish my Angel was here to share it with me. I’m looking forward to the arrival of Bob and Phil in a few days. Hold onto your hats! They're a couple of wild ones! With that, I’ll close, head down to the Deli and post. Take care, stay healthy, and keep the faith.

No comments: