Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Bison Baseball: Wish You Were Here




Where else on the web are you going to find a bottle of pee portrayed as “Fine Art Photography?” I think that’s worth something!

I received an email from our nephew today. He’s a wonderful young man, and great all around athlete. He attends university and plays baseball for North Dakota. He follows this blog as “Bison Baseball”, so when I refer to him, it’ll be as Bison B. Bison B. wrote to say” hi”, to catch me up on his Thanksgiving trip home to Montana, and to let me know that he was following the blog. In the email he mentioned that he “wished he could be doing what I’m doing”.

This caused me to reflect, once again, on how fortunate I am to be able to get periods of time where I can travel or engage in other activities that I enjoy, while the rest of the world is toiling away. Believe me. I don’t take this for granted! First of all, for most of us, it takes a great deal of good fortune, good health, effort and time to accrue enough funds to be able to “do this stuff” these days. Secondly, you need the free-time away from your responsibilities of family, work, or school. And thirdly, at least for me, I always ask for permission, whether or not it is required. That’s just smart!

So, I’m offering thanks and praise to my higher power, the gods and goddesses of good fortune, my two wonderful boss/benefactors who continue to let me work and earn, and my lovely wife, who allows me to do these things as long as I roughly follow her Ten Commandments (mind you, these are a bit more strict than God’s Ten Big Ones).

How did I respond to Bison B.? I told him I’d love to have him come down with me/us one of these years. He’s a hard worker, and he’ll scrape together enough money for the air ticket and “his youthful activities”. We’ll provide a place for him to rest, recuperate, and ogle the girls. In the meantime, as Cat Stevens sang in the "old days", "work hard boy, and you'll find, someday you'll have a job like mine".

I spent the afternoon down at the beach. I’ve decided that I am the most content “away from the herd” when I am here alone. Those of you who know me personally, and that is most of you, know that I am sometimes a social animal, and sometimes not. Today, and yesterday, I really enjoyed the “relative isolation” of the cabana/beach area in contrast to the much busier, more socially interactive pool. That’s one of the reasons I really like this place, you have choices. Being one who has made a living observing and listening to others, I couldn’t help but marvel at the strange mix of individuals at the beach today. They were of all shapes and sizes, ages and genders, races and cultures, and I’m guessing, sexual preferences and religions. But we all had one thing in common, we wanted to “break away and graze on our own for the day”. We acknowledged this “separate state” by clinging possessively to our two square yards of private sand and a plastic beach throne. I chose to don my noise canceling headgear and crank up an odd collection of tunes from the iPod that included: Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Jimmy Buffet, Jimi Hendrix, The Allman Brothers, Garth Brooks, Kenny Chesney, Johnny Cash, Three Dog Night, Crash Test Dummies, and the Benedictine Monks. I know, a bunch of those people are dead…that made it even more surreal. You gotta try it …at the beach drinking cold Pacifico at 85 degrees, and listening to the Benedictine Monks … never mind Hendrix...It was a flashback to the 70’s! OMG it was an enjoyable afternoon! Just me, myself, nature, music, beer, food, and those invisibles I chose to ignore. Tomorrow, Bob will arrive, and I’ll return to the herd, and I’ll be happy … and equally content.

The food report: I had an EB Cheeseburger and Fries for lunch today…washed it down with uno Pacifico. The burgers from the grill continue to be of high quality. Service was prompt. The price, with beer and tip, was about $13 U.S. dollars. I did notice that the EB is constructing an additional grill with an outdoor pizza oven at the lower pool, and near the Aqua Bar. This, in addition to the new Bistro that will be adjacent to a new pool, should provide for a good variety of food choices within the next year.

Gym/Spa report: Did I already write about this? Don’t think so. Too lazy to look now, so…
The new gym is huge, with lots of equipment: treadmills, ellipticals, bicycles (recumbent, regular, and spinners), a boatload of weight and conditioning machines, as well as free weights. Use of the gym is free to time share owners and their guests who are staying with them in their rooms. All others, and guests in separate rooms, pay $10 a day. The spa, from my understanding, is currently spread between two places, “old and new”. It will be totally moved to the new quarters “soon”. Spa services are extensive. You can have anything that’s legal in all states, but Nevada, done to you (short of “toe sucking”), for the right price. I haven’t frequented the spa, but I’ve heard many great reports from satisfied customers.

To close today, I’d like to thank all of you who have registered as followers. You are a select group of dear friends, and I love you all. For those who haven’t registered, thanks for reading and sending your emails. To my lovely wife, who first responded with “You’re nuts!” when I told her I was going to start a blog, thanks for your email last night saying, “I like what you're writing, and I’m enjoying it”…or something to that effect. It means the world to me, and I Love You Angel (even though certain friends, who will be arriving soon, and you know who I’m talking about, have told me time and again, that I shouldn’t have saved you (several times by the way…) from those rattlesnakes in Montana!)

Good Night! Thanks for reading. Encourage your friends to tune in if you think they might be interested. The more, the merrier!

No comments: