Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Leaving the Slope





This stay on the Slope is nearly over. Since posting the last time, I traveled to Pt. Lay for a not so quick, and lucky to not get stuck, day trip. Work has kept me busy and I have lost my tan and wonderful sense of humor. Not really ... I still have a better tan than the rest of the white guys in these parts! The day temperatures in Barrow have been "reasonable" for this time of year...-15 to -30 most of the month. The sun is rising much higher in the sky now ... and it's gloriously light for about four hours between 10:00 and 2:00. Strangely enough, the increase in sunlight generally results in lower temperatures. I am leaving before the "real" cold of February sets in. Summer will not arrive until the end of May. The temperatures then will "warm up" to the high 30's and low 40's during the day. At night,temps will drop below freezing into late June and early July. Not much of a summer. I'm posting a photo of "Joseph and the Bear". The grizzly was taken by a native hunter in Pt. Lay this past fall. The photos of the polar bears chasing a couple of "quick Inupiats", are not mine, but were shot last year, and posted to the web. I'm not sure where the pics were taken, but I'm guessing in Kaktovik or Barrow. My friend, Kristen, had them sent to her, so she may know the origin. Anyway, cool photos, and the credit goes to the one who shot them. Finally, the top photo is what I dream about when I'm up here and it's -30...the pool at Emerald Bay...special effects are free. I'm heading home on Friday night. I'll get three days with Angel before I'm off to Bethel and Akiachak on Tuesday. More on those locations later. Take care. Stay healthy and warm.

No comments: