Saturday, February 21, 2009

Beach Walk








I woke up early this morning and took a walk along the beach. I returned via the Ala Wai. Along the way I snapped a few photos. I ran into a group of young people all curled up in a bundle on the beach. It was too cute to pass up, so I asked them if I could take a picture. I told them I'd be posting it to the blog and gave one of the girls the address. The kids were all locals,or transplants. I think they'd been up all night, as they were "crashed" pretty hard. Really nice kids, and a fun photo! Further down the beach I stopped and asked one of the Waikiki "beach boys" if I could take a few pictures. He was another nice person, and happy to let me take some pics for the blog. What I find, is that many, if not most people, are happy to let you take a few shots of them if you let them know what you will be doing with the photos. If you get turned down, that just how it goes. Being bashful or timid will cost you many opportunities. I am not naturally aggressive, and I hope, not too obnoxious, but kindness and a little conversation will take you far. I made one more "personal" encounter this morning. A Japanese couple were on the beach trying to take a picture of themselves with their camera. They were looking a little awkward, so I said "picture" and motioned to them that I would take one. They handed me the camera. I took one of my better shots of the morning against the seascape, and they both graciously bowed and thanked me. All in all, I feel good about my morning, and other human beings. I completed my walk by returning via the canal, where I took a few more pics of boats and rowers. Enjoy!

No comments: