Saturday, February 14, 2009

Home....for now










I made it to Tuluksak yesterday morning around 10:30. It was a busy workday ending with a 30 minute plane ride to Bethel. After arriving in Bethel, I checked my bags and headed over to Brother's Pizza located between JP Air and the Alaska Air terminal. I was joined by Joe, a first year teacher in Tuluksak, and Carol, a teacher mentor, and long-time veteran of Bush work and travel. Soon after we ordered, another lady arrived and greeted our group. From what I could gather, she appeared to be another teacher mentor, and curiously, she looked familiar. The gal remarked to me that she thought she knew me from somewhere. When Carol introduced me to Betty, I immediately remembered where our lives had crossed in the past. She wasn't quite as quick after the intro, so I had a little fun telling her pretty specific information about herself until she figured it out. It turns out that Betty and I had worked together more than 25 years ago on Kodiak Island. After Angel and I left for "mainland" Alaska, Betty went on to eventually become the superintendent of schools. She was now working for the Alaska Department of Education as a teacher mentor, in places like Hooper Bay and Scammon Bay. It was fun catching up with another "old timer", while waiting for the "freedom bird". Brother's has decent food if you are ever in Bethel. Like the burger at the hotel in Wainwright, the Brother's burger with steak fries is on my top five list for Bush grub.
It's good to be home. Angel and I "slept in" this morning till about 6:45. I made coffee and read the paper, while she made our usual Saturday breakfast of two poached eggs, home fries, and a couple of "little piggy's". While I was gone this week, a cow and calf moose have been frequenting our place. I managed to grab a few photos of them this morning. They are always welcome visitors until we put in the garden in the Spring! The other photos are of my "Bush Senior Tour" friends, Betty, Carol, and Joe; a shot of Bethel,Alaska from the air when arriving from Tuluksak, 30 minutes "upriver"; the "parking lot" in Akiak; and "my bed" on the floor in a classroom in Akiak.
Stay tuned to the blog, as the setting and scenery, once again, will change. You won't be disappointed!

No comments: