Thursday, February 19, 2009

Aloha


Good morning! I arrived last night about 6:30. After a 30 minute, $35 cab ride through rush hour traffic, I met Bob at the Wailana. A cheaper, but less time efficient method of getting to Waikiki is an airport shuttle for about $10. If you have only a small carry-on that'll go on your lap, you can take the city bus for $2.

I called Angel after my arrival to let her know all was well. Your national cell plan with most carriers works here. Bob made me a gin and tonic, while I chatted with our friend and Bob's guest, Nancy. Nancy and her husband Jim have been staying at the condo with Bob the last few weeks. Jim left a few days ago. Nancy and Bob will be leaving tomorrow.

We went to the Wailana coffee shop last night for dinner. I had my usual burger and salad bar for $7.95. Bob and Nancy had the same. The restaurant is on the first floor of this building. The condo is on the 19th floor. This is a "local" place. Most of the owners in this building are old timers, or relatives of old timers. The food at the restaurant is always very good and the menu is varied. The location is close to the Ilikai and the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We are within walking distance of the Ala Moana Shopping Center, Sam's Club, Wal Mart, and Ala Moana Beach. We've stayed in this area many times over the past 15 years, or so. Our friends Phil and Jackie have stayed in the neighborhood for the past 30 years. We like the location.

Bob and I went for our usual one hour walk this morning. The direction and destination always varies. Honolulu is safe for walking. We have never had a problem. This morning we stopped for coffee first, then headed toward the Convention Center, Sam's Club, and Ala Moana Shopping Center. I snapped a few photos with my walking camera, the Canon Elph; sipped coffee, and chatted with Bob. It was a nice walk. Cloudy and cool this morning. The photo is of Diamond Head off of the Lanai. More later.

No comments: