Sunday, January 11, 2009

Fairbanks tonight, Anaktuvuk tomorrow








It's 11:15 pm and I'm at Sophie Station Suites in Fairbanks. This is a nice place to stay. All of the rooms at Sophie Station have a full kitchen with dishes, silverware, and breakfast bar; a sofa, chair, and TV in the "living room"; and a separate bedroom, with two large beds and another TV. The bathroom is huge. Everything is very clean. The rates are reasonable. The motel has a free shuttle from the airport, free wireless internet, free coffee service, and a nice restaurant and lounge in the building. It is also about two blocks from a large Fred Meyer grocery and department store.

It was -43 when I arrived at 8:30. Probably colder now. I walked down to Freddies and scored a Hungry Man Chicken Dinner for tonight and a few ramen noodle packs to supplement my freeze dried for the next two days. I threw the Hungry Man in the oven, and then called Angel to let her know that I had arrived. I wanted to make sure that she had made the 45 mile return trip home from the airport without any problems. All was fine on her end.

Tomorrow morning I will leave Sophie Station at 6:45 and check-in at Wright Air for their early flight to Anaktuvuk Pass. Anaktuvuk Pass is about a hour and a half flight by small plane, north of Fairbanks, and above the Arctic Circle. You can Google "Anaktuvuk Pass" for more information. The posted photos are of my early October flight into Anaktuvuk. Also, a few shots from the ground in "town". I will write a bit more about Anaktuvuk over the next two days, as well as post more pics. Take care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice aerial shot of the village...I can see where my old teacher housing used to be, but is no longer. Have a great time at AKP.

Beth