Saturday, December 5, 2009

Cilantros






I joined the ladies at the pool mid-morning yesterday. Vicki and Donna had gotten up early and made it to the gym. I hadn’t, so I joined them for awhile, then went for a walk on the beach. Mid to late afternoon we played progressive Rummy at the Bistro pool. Donna ordered sushi from the Bistro. Our niece, Lauren, had reported that she and Ahren had tried the sushi a few weeks ago, and it had been terrible, so we didn’t know what to expect. When the sampler arrived, we were pleased. The salmon and tuna appeared to be fresh and cold and the rice cooked properly. A small plate of spicy pepper flakes and a little soy, made for a nice dipping sauce. I’m guessing that Lauren and Ahren may have had a different chef the day they tried the sushi. The food and service can vary at PBEB, so it pays to courteously, but firmly complain, if either is substandard.
Late in the afternoon, London and Paulina (Marco’s daughter) arrived at the Villa after a fun-filled day at school. London was allowed to visit Paulina’s class for the day, and had a blast. I believe the highlight was the arrival of the ice cream truck at lunch. Each girl had $2.00 for lunch. I’m not sure if they “burned through it all”, or had a little left over after the ice cream spree.
I was invited to join the group for dinner at Cilantros, a comfy beachside restaurant at the Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan. We made it right at sunset, and were placed at a window table. London and Paulina immediately hit the beach and the water. The adults hung back, with the exception of Azuela Donna, who followed the kids with her camera in hand, and snapped some nice photos. We were seated in a few minutes, where we could watch the girls play on the beach, while chatting and deciding on what to order. I opted for tortilla soup and shrimp ceviche. The others ordered a variety of dishes, including salads, soups, and BBQ. The food was delicious, and as always, came in huge portions. I have always liked Cilantros, but it’s not Angel’s favorite place, as she had a “cold” Mexican plate on our initial visit to the place several years ago. She does not forget easily. I’m hoping to encourage her to give it another try this trip.
We were back to Emerald Bay by 8:00, but a few of the crew wanted to go to Kelly’s for a drink. Kelly’s had music last night and Auntie Sue wanted to dance. Fortunately, for me (I’m not much of a fancy dancer), Marco “cut the rug” with Sue, as well as a few of the other female hotel guests, while Nita and I talked and sipped a few tequila martinis. The drinks, as usual for this resort, pack a whallop, so imbibe carefully! I was up early this morning to hit the gym. Vicki was already working out when I arrived. The others were still resting at the Villa after our busy day and evening.
I’m posting a few shots of Cilantro’s for your enjoyment. Hoping you’re all well and having a good week!

No comments: