Saturday, January 16, 2010

Far North




Greetings from the far North! I am in Barrow after having spent most of last week in Pt. Hope. I flew to Kotzebue last Sunday, spent the night at Bibber's B and B, then made Pt. Hope by 10:00 Monday morning. After working in Pt. Hope Monday through Thursday, I arrived in Barrow about 6:30 Thursday evening. The temps have been well-below zero with wind chills as low as -55. The wind always blows up here, and even the slightest breeze will super cool exposed body parts very quickly...think: freeze dried nose and cheeks. Donald (my next door neighbor), and I, took a cab to the Alaska Commercial (AC) store this morning. I needed to stock up on groceries for the next few weeks. Donald lives in Barrow 9 months each year, so he mainly went along for the ride, picked up a couple of goodies, then walked over to Ipalook Elementary School to work for a few hours. I took the cab back to the apartment and stocked up the refrigerator and cupboards with my $187.00 purchase.
Food prices here are high...apples 2.21/Ib; 4 Ibs of tangerines 10.99; red lettuce 3.49/bunch; 5 Ibs potatoes 9.59; onions 1.56/Ib; 3 Ib chuck roast 11.43; 3 Ibs burger 9.74; 6 chicken breasts 13.84; 1 pkg Jimmy Dean Sausage 7.59; Kraft Salad Dressing 5.99; 10 whole wheat tortillas 6.49; medium jar of peanut butter 8.45.....you get the idea....Donald took a few photos at the store today and was kind enough to share those with me...how many places in the Lower 48 sell ATV's on the same aisle as the orange juice and cheese? What about fox furs? Sunscreen for $16???...Wait a minute! ... No sun here right now...That stuff should be on sale! Enjoy the photos and stay warm!

No comments: