Friday, September 25, 2009

Harvest Time










Today was the last day for moose hunting in our area. Walking down the trail this morning I was making a few bull grunts when all of the sudden a beautiful fox, deep brown in color with a white tail came charging at me. He stopped dead in his tracks about 20 feet in front of me, did a 180, and blasted off into the brush. I'm not sure what he thought I was when he heard my call, but when he realized he was in danger, off he went. Pretty little guy. Well, no moose for Matt this year, but I had loads of fun tromping around the woods. I did manage to put a few spruce grouse in the freezer, so we'll enjoy those soon. When I returned home this morning it was time to harvest what was left in the garden...parsnips, Brussels sprouts, and a few carrots. Tonight, I'm planning on serving Angel BBQ pork sandwiches, Rot Kraut (German fried cabbage), and a few parsnips pan fried and browned in butter. If you haven't tried making German fried cabbage before, you're missing out. Here's the recipe I use: Six pieces of bacon fried crisp and cut into small pieces, four cups of red cabbage, two apples (diced), 1 cup water 2 tablespoons vinegar, two tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and pepper, Fry bacon and chop it up. Add cabbage, apples, and water. Cook until tender. Add blended flour, vinegar, sugar, and seasoning. Cook a few minutes longer and serve hot. I'm posting a few Fall photos from the yard. I really enjoy the brief, but beautiful Fall season in Alaska.

No comments: